Do you want to retrieve your wordpress administrator E-mail?
Are you a guy who owns many wordpress blogs with different usernames,passwords and email for all (or many?). Chances are there you will forget your Username,Password and Administrator E-mail for some of your not so important blogs! Someday when you want to login to one of those blogs,you will find helpless without being able to login or even retrieve your lost password bcz you forgot all required stuffs!
Now you can fix this problem by getting into your Database and manipulating Users table. Its time consuming and guys with little knowledge on MySql will find it too difficult. Also its not a safe bet if you are not sure of what you are doing. So here’s a simple fix.
You can retrieve your admin email if you know the following.
1. You must have an FTP access to the blog.
2. You must know name of any one plugin which is already active in the blog.
1. Login to your websites files via FTP. You can always access and change FTP username and password from your Hosting control panel.
2. Goto wp-contents/plugins directory.
3. Find Folder/File of an already active plugin.If you are not sure of any, chances are that “Akismet” plugin may be active. Sometimes “Hello Dolly” may also be active.
4. Now we have to edit that particular plugin.
Open the chosen plugin in EDIT mode. (You can also download the plugin to your computer,Edit it in Notepad and upload back)
In our example we are using the “Akismet” plugin.
NOTE: Backup the entire plugin by downloading it to your computer before EDITING it.
We are not going to EDIT the whole plugin, we want to retain the plugin name. So be sure to read below carefully.
First few lines of all wordpress plugins are general information about it. We need to retain that info here. So if you are editing Akismet, you have to keep the following untouched.
Plugin Name: Akismet
Plugin URI: http://akismet.com/
Description: Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not. You need a <a href=”http://wordpress.com/api-keys/”>WordPress.com API key</a> to use it. You can review the spam it catches under “Comments.” To show off your Akismet stats just put <code><?php akismet_counter(); ?></code> in your template. See also: <a href=”http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/stats/”>WP Stats plugin</a>.
Author: Matt Mullenweg
Author URI: http://photomatt.net/
Note: You just keep lines upto a */ part of the plugin code you are editing.
5. Now delete all codes below */
6. Paste the following code below */
$subject=”Admin Email Retrieved”;
$admin_email = get_option(‘admin_email’);
7. In the above code, you must have noticed line 3. Its $to=”email@example.com”; Replace the firstname.lastname@example.org with your email address.
Ex: if your email address is email@example.com It must be like this
8. Ok! We are done now. Now SAVE the file. (If you downloaded it, EDIT,SAVE and Upload back to Plugins directory with same filenames/folder names).
9. Now Just load the the following URL in your browser.
Note: You should replace the yourblogdomainname.com with your wordpress blogs domain name address.
Okay! Now you may check your E-mail account and you must see a mail with subject Admin Email Retrieved! Open that and you will see your wordpress blogs Administrator Email address.
Now you can RESET your password, log in as Admin. Dont forget RESTORE the Original Plugin (upload back the copy of plugin we have backed up!).
Any doubts? Comment below!
Also READ the following:
Emergency Password Reset Script – http://codex.wordpress.org/User:MichaelH/Orphaned_Plugins_needing_Adoption/Emergency
Reset Password via FTP (by Editing functions file of Active Theme) - http://codex.wordpress.org/Resetting_Your_Password#Through_FTP